Friday, February 28, 2014

Things I Love Thursday (On Friday!)

When I launched Of North, I knew that I wanted to do "Things I Love Thursday" posts, like many other bloggers do. I have no idea who came up with this concept, but I like it and thought I'd join in. Reflecting on some things that have made you smile or feel good during the week is a good way to start the weekend. Since my flight came in late on Wednesday and I worked all of Thursday, then went out for the night, I am bumping my very first "Things I Love Thursday" post to Friday - oops! But here we go anyways:

Last night I went to a preview of Minnesota Opera's newest production - The Dream of Valentino! I'd been eagerly awaiting this particular show ever since they announced the 2013-2014 season...I'm not even sure...over a year ago now! It's a shorter production - about 2 hours - and a part of the Minnesota Opera's New Works Initiative, which also brought Silent Night and Wuthering Heights to the stage. An opera about Rudolph Valentino was right up my alley - after all, I did name my goldfish after the silent film great (unfortunately, both died much too young). The costumes were marvelous and I loved the dancing. Well, you know me, anything 1920s will immediately capture my interest. Even my date, not knowing anything about Rudolph Valentino or who he was, was riveted by the show. Minnesota Opera never disappoints and their New Works Initiatives are always so exciting. It opens this Saturday and plays through next weekend, so make sure to purchase your tickets for The Dream of Valentino now!


Har Mar Superstar is a Minnesota essential, but for whatever reason I had never paid attention to his song Restless Leg until just the other morning - and I found myself dancing all over my bathroom at 6am. Now I'm obsessed! Every morning needs a song like this to get you moving.

Like many people, I follow Humans of New York on Facebook. This particular post, on Wednesday, left me thinking deeply:

"Who do you love most in this world?"
"God."
"When did you find it most difficult to love God?"
"Childhood."
"Why during childhood?"
"Because I always wondered why things happened to me."
"How long did you wonder why?"
"Until I found God, then I knew why."
"Why?"
"Because people aren't bad, they're sick. And sick people do bad things."

I love when there are positive representations of religion and of religious experiences. People are so quick to hate on religion - just as people are quick to judge those who oppose religion - but in the end, it's all about love. And if your religion helps you love, then it's good and it shouldn't be up for debate. If your lack of religion allows you to love, then it's good and it shouldn't be up for debate. The only thing holding this world back is our rejection and fear of the ability to love. If you've found a way to love, then keep on loving, and if you haven't found a way to love, then keep searching instead of putting down others for finding something that you haven't yet.

Kiana's London Pt 1 post makes me miss London! Plus, the classic 1940s movie star look she has going on here is beautiful.


Emily of The Freckled Fox is sending (via snail mail) a letter to every reader that sends her one! I wish I had a PO box so that I could do this too - you all know I'm a total sucker for a good old fashioned letter in the mail.

 My last post, On Being Seventeen, received so many lovely and thoughtful comments (thank you!). The very first one brought the biggest smile to my face, I must admit, as it read simply: "I am in a crowded bar reading this and it brought a smile to my face. It made me think of when I was young."

Lily's post about keeping up with other bloggers brought to mind something that I'd been overwhelmed with so many times: how do you keep up with the blogs you read, as well as the readers who read yours.

  Today on the bus, one of the regular riders, a man in his late 70s, always with a smile on his face, asked me if I liked music. When I said yes, he started singing Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra hits. He was very talented and, needless to say, the bus ride home ended up being very enjoyable.

5 comments:

  1. amazing style
    May be we can follow each other. Please let me know

    http://www.facebook.com/AmandaChicFashionRoomLounge?ref=hl
    http://fashionroomlounge.blogspot.com.es/
    Twitter / tumblr/ instagram: @fashionrlounge

    A chic kiss ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh @ the above comment. ANYWAY, I like that this was a somewhat unorthodox roundup of loveable things :) In particular, the bit about religion. . . well, I don't know what I want to say, except that I guess I'm still in the childhood struggling place. I know religion is important to me and that I want to live as a Christian, but it's so hard. That sounds like whining xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your partners (Tori's Tales) ads doesn't go through to her website (it says 'authenticate'). Is it supposed to do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've noticed that, but the link on her twitter does the same thing! I should double check with her - I know she was redesigning her blog & she might have shut it down for that. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  4. Glad you liked my post! It is becoming quite the impossible task to keep up with blogs. The Minnesota Opera looks like such a fun experience; proper stage performances are always so much more of an experience than anything you could see at the cinema. I love talking to random elderly people on the bus, they often have interesting stories to tell!
    lily x
    www.jolihouse.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Of North! I write my blog very thoughtfully and with tremendous love, so all comments are read and taken to heart. Please note that I retain the right to remove any comments which I find to be rude, petty, or unnecessarily negative. Of North is a happy space and I appreciate it if comments reflect that same positivity!