Sunday, March 9, 2014

French Connection


Turtleneck: Land's End ; Jumper: SwayChic ; Jacket: Banana Republic ; Boots c/o Sammydress

Minnesota reached 50°F today, which is probably the warmest weather we've had since November. Before long, people will be swarming the streets in shorts and tee shirts! In fact, a man I see around town has been wearing denim shorts for like a month, even when it's been -35°F. Some Minnesotans are real hard-core like that. Me? No. I bought a pair of snowpants that I wear on my commute to and from work. That's how completely not hard-core I am. (And how completely un-dignified I am in the name of warmth.)

In celebration of the melting snow and ice, I ditched my heavy parka for this lightweight coat from Banana Republic which is a dreeeaaam. Both the coat (it's beautiful) and the fact that I can finally wear it again. I also wore these new boots courtesy of Sammydress, which is a sign in itself that spring is coming because heels & slick ice do not go well together. Heels and slushy ice? Okay, I can deal with that.









I'm not sure what exactly I'm channeling in this outfit, but after I put it on, I felt like some girl from a 1960s Godard film. It's definitely a combination of the stripes, the turtleneck, and the jumper. I put on some cat eye shades to play up the mystery (and also because the sun is reflecting off the snow and is blinding).









Last week, my best friend Facebook-ed me this Buzzfeed quiz about which Gilmore Girls' guy is your best match (I got Luke which is a total lie, so we both re-did the quiz a few times and kept getting Luke no matter what our answers and decided it was rigged, duh). She and I were Skype-ing today and talking about the quiz, so now I've re-started the series again. I've lost count of how many times I've watched Gilmore Girls. It's been the entire series through at least 4 times, and the first 5 seasons I've seen at least 10 times each, easily. Yeah, I'm obsessed. I watched it for the first time when I was 13 while working on my history day project and it completely altered how I thought college would be, and boyfriends. I still love it though, and watching my favourite show always makes me feel right at home and comforted. And so, with that, I'm off to watch the first season and reminisce on Rory's first days at Chilton! xx

12 comments:

  1. First of all, I love this outfit - the jumper and shirt together are so perfect.

    Second of all, that quiz is AMAZING. I took it too and prefaced it with "if I don't get Jess, I may protest Buzzfeed." Thank goodness I got Jess. I love Gilmore Girls! Definitely my favorite show - I have all 7 seasons; it was my graduation gift. Enjoy going through the seasons!
    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT. How did you get Jess? I swear, Jess & I are meant to be together! Jealous ):
      I bought that complete boxed set edition that was released a few years ago. It was a present to myself for some "major accomplishment" (like cleaning my closet or something - ha!)

      Delete
    2. I don't know how I got Jess, but I'm sure glad that I did! He's my favorite. Mostly for the fact that he reads and steals Rory's books and puts notes in them. If a guy wants to win my heart, that certainly is one way to do it!

      I think I have the same boxed set - the one with the Gilmore-isms?

      Delete
    3. Yupp, that's the one! I love reading the Gilmore-isms. So many of the jokes & references go right over my head, and on numerous occasions I've went out and watched the movies or read the books that are referenced just so that I can understand the jokes.

      Delete
  2. I love Gilmore Girls too! Definitely Jess *swoon*

    I like the stripes and I can see the Godard resemblance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess is the one for me, I know that he & are I meant to beeee (;

      Delete
  3. Love your dress & cat eye glasses, super cute.

    www.lavishingg.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a pretty dress. i love it! :) Irene Wibowo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Gilmore Girls! And Jess FTW.
    You look like rock and roll, I love it.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I took that quiz too and got Logan (who was always a favorite of mine despite his 'bad boy' attitude, but man, was he smokin') and I've been meaning to rewatch Gilmore Girls. Was thinking of starting it over spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's a great outfit!
    Jerome

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy that spring is finally looking like it is on the way :)
    I loved this pinafore the last time you wore it and I love it here with the stripes.

    ~ K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Of North! I write my blog very thoughtfully and with tremendous love, so all comments are read and taken to heart. Please note that I retain the right to remove any comments which I find to be rude, petty, or unnecessarily negative. Of North is a happy space and I appreciate it if comments reflect that same positivity!