Monday, May 5, 2014

Say You Will

Jeans: Great Scott vintage via Up Six ; Flannel: Land's End ; Cheetah Crop: Mimi Chica ; Earrings: c/o Alexandra Inn

The other week my friend Carrie and I stopped by some vintage & used clothing stores in the Selby/Snelling area of Saint Paul, including Up Six, one of my favourites. I think I first stepped foot in Up Six close to 8 years ago when I was just beginning to ~explore my style~ or whatever type of cheesy lingo you want to pair with such a time in my life. The store is stocked with perfect '60s shift dresses, ridiculous Screech-inspired ski knits, and as many high-waisted pants as your heart could desire. In my last visit there, I walked out with these beyond perfect Guess jeans and with my heart set on a pair of rad bells that my wallet just didn't want to open up for. These rad bells to be exact. (If we want to be more exact, I suppose "wide legged jeans" is probably more accurate than bell bottoms.) I went back and bought them just a few days later. I had been sitting at work in my sad little office when Carrie texted me about how I needed to get those jeans and she couldn't believe I had passed them up. Yeah, me neither! So I went back for them.
I think I hemmed about 6 inches off of them but they're now perfect and obviously a staple for summer. Come on guys, they are so perfect. I feel like I need to write an ode to them.



I originally went into my closet for a pair of pin-up style overalls, but my hand fell on these bells first and I decided to wear them instead. Even though they're definitely a '70s style pant, I played up a bit of a '50s pin-up look with the victory rolls and the cheetah-print crop top. And flannel because this is Minnesota and that is the law here. Oh and these gorgeous earrings in blue courtesy of Alex Inn. The earrings make the outfit seem a bit more put-together and lady-like, less woodsy '70s chick.
So I'm not sure what this outfit is in the end. A bit '70s hippie, a bit pin-up '50s glam, and a bit outdoorsy Minnesotan. Yeah, that's typical me.




Wearing these pants in public definitely turns heads. With skinny jeans being the uniform for youth these days, and with these wide-legged jeans being, literally, the opposite of skinny, I think a lot of people are surprised. Hopefully pleasantly surprised, but if someone thinks these jeans are atrocious, then I don't care about their opinion on anything anyways. These are obviously the type of jeans that you foam at the mouth in jealousy for.

And to end on a funny photo. It's beautifully sunny out today, but the downside is that I genetically inherited this condition from my mother that makes my eyes extremely sensitive to the light. It was a mega struggle to keep my eyes open for these photos while also not looking like I was on drugs. I have a lot of me looking at the ground or with my eyes in slits. So I thought I'd share one for your viewing pleasure.

And now, I'm off to spend my afternoon enjoying the absolutely stunning weather xx

6 comments:

  1. YES THE JEANS! These are amazing!!! I wish I could fit into them and if I could Id wear them all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SO GLAD YOU MADE ME GO BACK & GET THEM

      Delete
  2. I've been looking for a pair of those for years to no avail. Dammit I want them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check all your vintage stores! And be prepared to have to hem! Also, try Tunnel Vision (http://shoptunnelvision.com/). They have loads of rad bell bottoms, new & used, at fair price points.

      Delete
  3. Your outfit is amazing, love the little addition of victory rolls to make the look ever so vintage :)

    http://fashioneatstar.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! And thanks for stopping by - hope to see you around the blog again xxxxxx

      Delete

Thank you for reading Of North! I write my blog very thoughtfully and with tremendous love, so all comments are read and taken to heart. Please note that I retain the right to remove any comments which I find to be rude, petty, or unnecessarily negative. Of North is a happy space and I appreciate it if comments reflect that same positivity!