Saturday, June 7, 2014

Little Girl Captures a Mouse

My parents' house is old. My great-grandfather built the house in 1916, one of the first on the street. His siblings erected 3 or 4 other houses on the street as well, the entire family living within a stone's throw of each other. All of these houses still stand, and one - my house - still has direct kin living in it. This all being said, the house isn't in terrific shape. He's sturdy, he's well-insulated, but, inevitably, we still get a few mice sneaking in every year. The other night I heard Little Girl crash into some dishes in the kitchen. Worrying that she had hurt herself, I rushed into the dining room (where she had run), to find her with a little grey mouse hanging from her mouth. She flung the mouse up in the air and chased it across the dining room floor. I screamed and screamed until my father ran in with a big glass jar and captured the little mouse. Little Girl was named a hero and spent the next few days getting constant praise and attention (as if she doesn't get that already). After this incident, everyone seemed to forget about the time my cat Gogo killed a mouse just by looking at it. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure which cat gets more style points for their mousing.







2 comments:

  1. That's so cool you live in a house with so much family history! We had mice at the last house we rented, which was built in like, 1895. I used one of those plug-in ultrasonic noise-makers that supposedly repels mice. People mostly say they're a scam, but I didn't see or hear any remnants of mice life after I bought them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Alaina! I'll definitely look at those the next time we have a mouse problem. I'm all for anything that doesn't require killing mice.

      Delete

Thank you for reading Of North! I write my blog very thoughtfully and with tremendous love, so all comments are read and taken to heart. Please note that I retain the right to remove any comments which I find to be rude, petty, or unnecessarily negative. Of North is a happy space and I appreciate it if comments reflect that same positivity!