Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Adventures in Biking in a Pencil Skirt

Skirt: Halogen ; Shirt: Tommy Bahama (secondhand) ; Sweater: Alice & Olivia ; Shoes: Cinderella of Boston ; Briefcase: secondhand ; Necklace: PYLO

I had a job interview yesterday that I decided to ride my bike to. I haven't been able to get out on my bike as much as I would have liked to this summer due to my confusing work schedule and my allergies being so bloody terrible, but the place I was interviewing at was nearby and so I jumped at the opportunity to bike there. In a non-stretch pencil skirt. And heels.

Bad idea.

Who knew that biking required such mobility in the leg area! Getting on and off the bike was a complete laugh in itself, but then I had to hike my skirt way up just to get the full leg motion of biking... The heels weren't so bad once you got used to them but the skirt...no getting used to that. There was one time in particular when I dismounted my bike and I thought this guy was about to cause a traffic collision because he was ogling me so intensely. I can't say I blame him. My dismount was terrible.



So despite the rough riding, this outfit at the very least looks good with my bike - amiright or amiright? The place I was interviewing with is really fun and quirky, so I wanted my outfit to match! And what's more fun and quirky than a tasteful Hawaiian t-shirt? I threw in the lime green cardigan because a) the shirt is sleeveless and you can't wear that to an interview and b) the navy blue and red were a bolder clash than I preferred. The green helped take it down a notch, and also played up the turquoise necklace.

Obviously a lot of detail in this outfit. I hope that this employer saw that (among my other qualifications!) and will give me the job. As of Monday I will be completely unemployed and receiving my last known paycheck. Yay, post-grad life and soul crushing student loans...





I'm sorry that my smile does not reach my eyes in any of these photos, making me look like a hollowed out, soulless creep. The sun was bright or something - let's just go with that.

I'm all ready to get back into blogging! It was good to go light this summer - there has been so much stress in my life and I have had to take on a lot of responsibility that required my mind and heart to be elsewhere. But here I am, ready to take the internet by storm once again and be my obnoxiously outspoken self per usual xx

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous- love the outfit! Alex


    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the outfit! Isn't navy the best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My senior year of college I moved off campus and alternated between biking/busing/hitching rides. I tried to always wear bike-friendly outfits, but got super tired of pants and tennis shoes. So I definitely experimented with skirts/heels on a bike!! Fingers crossed that you get that job. Also sending you good thoughts because I know you've been dealing with some really tough stuff lately <3 <3

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Priya! Thanks - I got the job! It's just a small boutique in town, but I'm really excited because I can easily bike there! So now comes the trial and error sessions of bike-able outfits. I know I'll get really bored of slacks and tennis shoes soon enough.

      Delete
  4. You look awesome. I love that you're posting your business casual wear now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaina! Yes! I should be doing more of it like I was back in the spring, but usually when I get home from work I just want to kick off the heels and strip off the stockings ):

      Delete
  5. Wow! I truly adore this outfit and yes, I agree you look amazing by the bike!!! Have you any desire to go into modeling?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Of North! I write my blog very thoughtfully and with tremendous love, so all comments are read and taken to heart. Please note that I retain the right to remove any comments which I find to be rude, petty, or unnecessarily negative. Of North is a happy space and I appreciate it if comments reflect that same positivity!